Clickety Clips interviews top dog trainers
Steve Mann, Dog Trainer & Behaviourist, Chairman of the IMDT
Steve has been a full-time dog trainer for over 20 years. He has trained thousands of dogs and hundreds of professional dog trainers. He is founder and chairman of the Institute of Modern Dog Trainers and presents seminars, courses and workshops for dog trainers and behaviourists worldwide. A regular on TV, Steve has starred in several shows including ‘The Underdog Show’ and ‘Who let The Dogs Out?’ alongside Ashleigh & Pudsey.
How would you advise owners on the best way to bond with their dog?
SM: Play! Dogs love to play – and dogs love those they play with!
- Believe what you see, not what you hear.
- Always ask ‘what does it mean to the dog?’
- Train how you would like to be trained.
- Never train in a way that you would dislike being trained.
- Never ask a dog for behaviours when you’re angry.
- Never wear a bumbag, baseball cap and wolf-embossed fleece!
SM: I think owners find it most difficult to accept that training is a process – not an event.
And, finally, what do you envisage the greatest challenges will be for pet dogs and their owners over the next 10-20 years?
SM: The greatest challenge will be to have time to enjoy each other’s company. The solution: use your time wisely or don’t have a dog – they deserve more.
The Institute of Modern Dog Trainers offers accredited courses in dog training and behaviour.